How We Began... What We Have Done
On March 15, 1835, two Episcopalians, Rhoda Camp and her brother Zenas Barker, a few Congregationalists, and several Masons met at the home of a Unitarian to organize an “Episcopal Church and Society.” A small stone building was built on public ground with stone quarried across the street.
Less than a generation later, in the mid-1800s, the building was enlarged with transepts and two towers. The parish grew to include three missions, on the south, east, and west sides of the city, with chapels and church schools.
In addition to community ministry of worship and education, Grace has a long history of social service in this community: